Monday, August 20, 2018

Life Imitates Art


Left: Still from the BBC's 2018-posted video. Right: my photo taken in 2007 of Roman Diaz's "Wild Horses"


The packages started arriving at my house, more than ten years ago, for the big Tikotin Museum exhibit. The mailman would ring at the gate and I'd leap. I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to get beautiful origami in the mail, gifts it seems like, every few days from some other corner of the world. Canada. Singapore. Spain. Vietnam! I'd cut open the carton, spread the things out on my table and ogle them. And from Roman Diaz of Uruguay--back then in 2007--came six paper horses with flowing manes and a striving look. There was no title; I gave his display the name “Wild Horses” and took the snapshot for my files. --This week I see, the BBC has been so kind as to stage a reenactment. It's a very great honor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLRfj7ZZRpw

Have a great weekend
Saadya